FIRE SAFETY INSPECTION CHECKLIST
During the annual Fire Inspections of the commercial structures in our city, violations are often found with the following fire codes. Please be sure to walk through your facility and correct any conditions that do not comply with these codes. Please keep in mind that there may be more codes that pertain to your specific occupancy and it is your responsibility to ensure that each code is up to standard. For any questions, you can always contact the Fire Marshal at 479-524-3103
Combustible and Flammable Material Storage
- Combustible materials (cardboard, paper, plastics, kerosene, paint, etc.) shall not be stored in boiler rooms, mechanical rooms, or electrical equipment rooms.
- Combustible materials shall not be stored in exits or exit enclosures.
- Outside dumpster shall be kept at least 5 feet away from combustible walls, windows, doors, overhangs, and lid shall be closed.
- Combustible storage shall be at least 2 feet below the ceiling or 18 inches below sprinkler heads.
- Compressed gas containers, cylinders, and tanks shall be secured to prevent falling.
- Flammable materials (gasoline, propane, alcohol, etc.) shall not be stored indoors. Including fuel tanks of motorcycles, lawn-care equipment or cooking equipment, etc.
- Exit ways and doors shall not be visually or physically obstructed.
- Exit ways and doors shall be unlocked when the building is occupied.
- Manually operated flush bolts or surface bolt locks are not permitted.
- Exit signs shall be illuminated.
- Exit ways shall be illuminated at all times the building is occupied including during commercial power failures.
- Fire doors, smoke dampers, and other fire resistance barriers and assemblies shall not be modified or otherwise impaired from the proper operation at any time.
Fire Protection Systems Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance
- Records of all fire protection system inspections, tests, and maintenance shall be kept on the premises.
- Sprinkler and fire alarm systems shall be serviced annually.
- Fire protection systems shall be maintained in an operative condition at all times and repaired where defective.
- Commercial cooking fire protection systems shall be serviced semi-annually.
- Hoods, grease removal devices, fans, ducts, and other appurtenances shall be cleaned to bare metal. Cleaning shall be recorded, and records shall state the extent, time, and date of cleaning. Records shall be maintained on-premises.
- Private hydrants shall be inspected and flow tested annually.
- Emergency lighting shall be tested every six months.
- All private hydrants, fire lanes, fire department connections (FDC) and control valves shall be clear, visible and unobstructed, including snow removal.
- The building address shall be clearly visible from the street, minimum 4 inches in height with a contrasting background.
- A Knox box with all entrance and interior keys for emergency access is required for all structures that automatically dial 911.
- Fire-resistance-rated construction shall be maintained.
- Occupant load signs must be legible, permanent and posted in a conspicuous location.
- Door Labels are required for rooms containing Electrical, Furnace, Sprinkler, Mechanical, and/or Generator equipment.
- A working space of not less than 30 inches wide (or width of equipment), 36 inches deep, and 78 inches high shall be provided in front of electrical service equipment.
- No storage within this designated workspace.
- “Power strips” (relocatable power taps) shall be UL listed, polarized, grounded, and equipped with over-current protection.
- “Power strips” shall be directly connected to a permanently installed receptacle.
- No “daisy-chaining”.
- “Power strips” cords shall not extend through walls, ceilings, floors, under doors, or floor coverings, nor be subject to environmental or physical damage.
- Extension cords, Multi-plug adapters, and flexible cords shall not be a substitute for permanent wiring.
- All Electrical Boxes shall be properly covered.
Portable Fire Extinguishers
- A minimum of one 2A-10:BC portable fire extinguisher shall be provided within 75 feet of travel distance from anywhere in the business on each floor.
- A Class K fire extinguisher shall be mounted within 30 feet of commercial food equipment using vegetable or animal oils.
- Fire extinguishers shall not be obstructed and shall be in a conspicuous location.
- When visually obstructed, an approved means shall be provided to indicate location.
- The fire extinguisher shall be mounted on the wall with a hanger at least 4” above the floor and no
- more than 60” above the floor.