REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Haying Lease for approximately 92-acre site located at Cecil Smith Field Airport
RFP Issued by: City of Siloam Springs – Community Development Department; 410 N. Broadway, Siloam Springs, AR 72761 Contact: Brandy Rowbotham firstname.lastname@example.org for issues specific to this RFP.
INTRODUCTION -The City of Siloam Springs is seeking a Haying Lease for approximately 92-acre site located at Cecil Smith Field Airport. No tilling or planting of crops or construction of permanent structures will be considered on this site.
PROPOSAL DEADLINE: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.
Proposals are due in City offices no later than 2:00 p.m. local time Tuesday, March 13, 2018.
The site has been hayed in the recent past and it is the City’s contention to maintain this agricultural use. The successful Proposer will be able to hay the site and remove the cut and baled hay within two (2) weeks of baling, weather permitting.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
1. The property is made available to a local farmer in its “as-is” condition. The City
of Siloam Springs makes absolutely no representation either of the site’s condition, or quality or quantity of the hay produced from the site.
2. The initial term of this proposal is for the 2018 hay baling season. No guarantee is made or represented by the City that this site, either partially or in its entirety, will be available for haying in future years. The City reserves the right to extend the lease for three - one (1) year options depending upon the responsiveness of and satisfaction with the successful Proposer which would result in a maximum term of four (4) years.
3. The successful Proposer will be required to indemnify or hold the City harmless
for all agricultural activities on the site. An indemnification agreement must be
executed in advance of any activity on the site.
4. A certificate showing a minimum of $500,000.00 comprehensive general liability insurance shall be provided, which names the City as an additional insured, and coverage shall remain in effect during the period of the lease.
5. No subletting of the property will be allowed without prior written permission of the City.
6. When baling has taken place, the successful Proposer must have the ability to immediately re-position each bale to ensure that the bales do not interfere with the active traffic.
The City reserves the right to reject any or all proposals or parts of proposals, to negotiate modifications of proposals submitted, and to negotiate specific work elements with a proposer into a project of lesser or greater magnitude than described in this RFP or the proposer’s reply.
Proposals will be evaluated and selected based on bid price, demonstrated ability to cut, bale and remove hay in a timely manner, and past record of contracting with the City or other public entities, if available.
All Proposers must submit a dollar value for the annual rent to the City for the use of this site, said amount to be paid at lease signing. The minimum season rent that will be entertained by the City is $500.00 dollars.
A letter of interest, anticipated schedule for haying operations, a statement of ability to farm the property (such as other sites hayed in the vicinity and a description of equipment available for haying operations), a statement of the proposed season rent and proof of insurance should be addressed to: Community Development Director, City of Siloam Springs, P.O. Box 80, Siloam Springs, AR 72761.
Brandy Rowbotham, Administrative Assistant, will serve as proposal coordinator. She can be contacted at the above address, phone number: (479) 238-0927.
All letters of interest and requested materials must be received no later than 2:00 P.M. on Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Responses received after this date and time will not be considered.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
REQUIREMENT-ANY VENDOR OR BIDDER SEEKING TO DO BUSINESS WITH THE CITY OF SILOAM SPRINGS AFFIRMS THAT THEY SHALL NOT ENGAGE IN ANY HIRING, FIRING, PROMOTION OR OTHER EMPLOYMENT ACTIONS BASED UPON RACE, GENDER, RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROHIBITED REASON. PROPOSERS SHALL, UPON REQUEST, SUPPLY THE CITY CLERK WITH INFORMATION CONCERNING THE EMPLOYMENT PRACTICES OF THE VENDOR/ BIDDER NECESSARY TO INSURE COMPLIANCE WITH LEGAL REQUIREMENTS. FAILURE TO SUPPLY SUCH INFORMATION, WHEN REQUESTED, MAY RESULT IN THE TERMINATION OF ANY EXISTING LEASES OR CONTRACTS AND FURTHER TRANSACTIONS BETWEEN THE VENDOR/BIDDER AND THE CITY OF SILOAM SPRINGS.
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND INSTRUCTION TO BIDDERS
The general rules and conditions outlined below become a formal part of each invitation to bid unless otherwise specified. All bidders are expected to fully inform themselves as to the conditions, requirements and specifications before submitting bids. Failure to do so will be at the bidder’s own risk.
The terms and conditions outlined in the invitation to bid become part of the formal contract following award, unless specified otherwise.
CONDITIONS OF BIDDING
1. PROPOSAL FORMS: The bidder shall submit the original signed copy in a sealed envelope to the address provided. Failure to do so will disqualify bid.
2. LATE BIDS: Bids, addendums to bids or requests to withdraw a bid received after the date and time specified for opening will not be considered.
3. WITHDRAWAL OF BIDS: Bids may be withdrawn if withdrawal request is received prior to specified time of opening.
4. MAILING OF BIDS: All bids not hand-delivered are to mailed in an envelope marked with the title of Bid and Bid Opening date and time and directed to the Community Development Office. Vendors are encouraged to allow sufficient time for mailing of bids. The City of Siloam Springs assumes no responsibility for postal delays. Date of receipt will prevail over postmark date.
5. OPENING OF BIDS: The bids will be opened publicly and read aloud. Vendors are welcome and are encouraged to attend bid openings. Bid openings will be listed by vendor name, address and bid amount only. Bid tabulation and selection will be done at a separate time following bid opening and will be available to interested vendors at a later time.
6. REJECTION OF BIDS: The City of Siloam Springs reserves the right to reject all bids, or any part of a bid or to waive defects in bids if in the best interest of the City of Siloam Springs.
7. BINDING PERIOD: All formal bids submitted shall be binding for thirty (30) calendar days following bid-opening date, unless otherwise specified.
8. ERROR IN BIDS: Any mistake in a bid which is obviously a clerical error such as a price extension, decimal point error or FOB terms may be corrected by the City’s purchasing agent, following bidder verification.
Clerical errors detected at the bid opening will be corrected and initialed by the opening party, vendor and a witness if present. If an error exists in the extension of prices, the unit price shall prevail.
9. MULTIPLE BIDS: No bidder will be allowed to offer more than one bid price on each item, although alternate models or styles may meet specifications. Alternates will be considered only if requested in the original bid package. Any alternate not specified will be rebid if in the best interest of the City. If the bidder submits more than one price on any item, all prices for that item can be rejected at the discretion of the City.
10. BID BOND, CERTIFIED CHECK, OR CASHIER’S CHECK: When required each bid shall be accompanied by a bid bond signed by a surety company authorized to do business in Arkansas or by a cashier’s check or certified check made payable to the City of Siloam Springs, Arkansas. The amount of the bid deposit will be 10% of the total base bid unless otherwise specified.
11. PERFORMANCE BOND: If required by the bid specifications, the successful bidder must supply a performance bond for the full amount of the estimated total bid. The performance bond shall be made out in favor of the City of Siloam Springs. The performance bond will be required as security by the successful bidder for faithful performance of his contract. This performance bond will be required within 10 days of the award notification. The performance bond must be written by a surety company licensed to transact business in the State of Arkansas. The successful bidder upon failure or refusal to furnish within 10 days the required performance bond, shall forfeit to the City of Siloam Springs as liquidated damages their bid deposit.
12. SPECIFICATIONS: The bidder shall comply with the true intent of the specifications and not take advantage of any unintentional error or omission but shall fully complete every part of the specification or drawings whenever mention is made of any article, material or workmanship to be in accordance with laws, ordinances, building codes, ASTM regulations, or similar expressions. These shall be considered to be the minimum requirements of the specifications. Any deviations from specifications must be noted in writing at the time of submission of the formal bid.
The absence of written deviations will hold the bidder strictly accountable to the City of Siloam Springs to the specifications as written. Any deviation from the specifications as written, not previously submitted as required by the above, will be grounds for rejection of the material and/or equipment when delivered.
13. AWARD: The contract will be awarded to the lowest responsible bidder complying with all the provisions of the invitation, provided the bid price is reasonable and in the best interest of the City of Siloam Springs to accept it. The City of Siloam Springs reserves the right to reject any or all bids and to waive any informality in bids received whenever such rejection or waiver is in the interest of the City. The City also reserves the right to reject the bid of a bidder who has previously failed to perform properly or complete on time contracts of a similar nature or a bid of a bidder who on investigation shows he is not in a position to perform the contract.
In determining responsibility the following qualifications in addition to price will be considered by the City when applicable:
a. The ability, capacity and skill of the bidder to perform the required services.
b. The ability of the bidder to perform the contract or provide the service promptly within the time specified.
c. The character, integrity, reputation, judgment and experience of the bidder.
d. The quality of performance of previous contracts or services.
e. The previous and existing compliance by the bidder with laws and ordinances relating to the contract or services.
f. The sufficiency of the financial resources and ability of the bidder to perform the contract or provide the service.
g. The quality, availability and adaptability of the supplies or contractual services to the particular use required.
h. The ability of the bidder to provide future maintenance and service for the use of the material and/or equipment.
14. NOTICE OF ACCEPTANCE: The successful bidder will be notified of the award in writing within a reasonable time from the date of the bid opening. Bid results, subject to Board of Directors approval, may be obtained from the Community Development Administrative Assistant two business days after the bid opening.
15. TIE BIDS: If two or more bidders submit identical bids and are equally qualified, preference will be given first to resident bidders of the City. If this is not decisive, selection shall be made by coin toss. The decision of the City to make award to one or more of such bidders shall be final.
16. SPECIFIC BID QUANTITIES: Where quantities are stated specifically, acceptance of the bid will bind the City to order only those quantities specified, and to pay for at contract prices all such supplies or services delivered that meet specifications and conditions of the contract. The City will not be required to accept delivery of any balances unordered as of the contract expiration date.
17. “AS REQUIRED” BID QUANTITIES: On “as required” bids, acceptance will bind the City to pay for at unit prices only quantities ordered and delivered.
18. AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS: A contract shall be deemed executory only to the extent of appropriations available to each agency for the purchase of such articles. The City’s extended obligation on these contracts which envision extended funding, through successive fiscal periods shall be contingent upon actual appropriations for the following fiscal year.
19. CONTRACT ALTERATIONS: No alterations in the terms of a contract shall be valid or binding to the City unless made in writing and signed by the City Administrator or his authorized agent.
20. INSURANCE REQUIREMENT: The contractor, following award of the contract may be required to furnish to the City of Siloam Springs a Certificate of Insurance for one or more of the following coverages:
a. Comprehensive General Liability
b. Property Damage & Bodily Injury Liability
c. Automobile Liability
d. Workman’s Compensation and Employees Liability
e. Professional Liability
The City of Siloam Springs shall be named as an additional insured on said policy of public liability insurance to cover all claims against the City arising out of said contract
21. HOLD HARMLESS REQUIREMENTS: The contractor shall, at all times, indemnify and save harmless the City of Siloam Springs, its officers, agents and servants on account of any and all claims, damages, losses, litigation expense, counsel fees and compensation arising out of injuries (including death) sustained by or alleged to have been sustained by the public, any or all persons affected by the contractor’s work, or by the contractor, any sub-contractor, materialmen or anyone directly or indirectly employed by them or any one of them while engaged in the performance of this contract.
22. TERMINATION OF CONTRACT: Contracts will remain in force for full periods specified, and until all articles ordered before the termination have been delivered and accepted, unless:
a. There have been satisfactory deliveries prior to expiration date.
b. An extension has been authorized by the City Administrator, and approved by the contractor, to extend the contract terms.
23. SUBLETTING OF CONTRACT: Contractor shall not assign, transfer, sublet or otherwise dispose of his contract, or his right, title or interest therein, or his powers to execute such contract to any other person, firm or corporation, without the previous written consent of the City. In no case shall such consent relieve the contractor from his obligations under the contract, nor shall consent change the terms of the contract. If the contractor assigns, transfers, conveys, sublets or otherwise disposes of his contract or his right, title or interest therein, without obtaining prior written consent from the City, the City may cancel the contract in whole or in part.
24. DEFAULT: The contract may be cancelled or annulled by the City in whole or in part by written notice of default to the contractor upon non-performance or violation of contract terms. An award may then be made to next lowest responsible bidder, or, articles specified may then be purchased on the open market similar to those so terminated. In either event, the defaulting contractor (or his surety) shall be liable to the City for costs to the City in excess of the defaulted contract prices: Provided, that the contractor shall continue the performance of the contract to the extent not terminated under the provisions of this clause. Failure of the contractor to deliver materials or services within the time stipulated on his bid, unless extended in writing by the City, shall also constitute contract default.
25. NON-LIABILITY: The contractor shall not be liable in damages for delay in shipment or failure to deliver when such delay or failure is the result of fire, flood, strike, act of God, act of government, act of an alien enemy or any other circumstances which, in the Purchasing Agent’s opinion, is beyond the control of the contractor. Under such circumstances, however, the Purchasing Agent may, in his discretion, cancel the contract.
26. NON-DISCRIMINATION: Contractor, in performing under this contract, shall not discriminate against any worker, employee or applicant, or any member of the public, because of race, creed, color, age or national origin, nor otherwise commit an unfair employment practice. Contractor further agrees that this article will be incorporated by contractor in all contracts entered into with suppliers of materials or services, contractors and sub-contractors and all labor organizations, furnishing skilled, unskilled and craft union skilled labor, or who may perform any such labor or services in connection with this contract. The following principles and requirements of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, as incorporated herein, will be incorporated into “Equal Opportunity – Non-Discrimination Clause” to be included in all bid documents, purchase orders, lease and contracts.
HAYING LEASE BID FORM
Total season rent for haying of approximately 92-acre site located at Cecil Smith Field Airport: $________________.
Relevant qualifications and experience:
Proposers should submit, at minimum, experience and qualifications as described below. Additional information may be submitted as appropriate to further describe vendor and provide capabilities.
Have you leased property from the City before? ___________ If yes, please identify property and period leased: ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Are you actively engaged in farming/haying operations within a 15-mile radius of Siloam Springs? _________ If yes, please provide brief description of such operations. If no, please describe how you intend to service this contract: ______________________________________________________________________
If you have performed haying operations for other organizations or individuals on a contract or lease basis, please provide a list, with contact names and phone numbers, of those for whom you have performed similar services: ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Are you currently insured against negligence, errors, omissions and general liability with respect to haying operations? _________. If yes, please attach a copy of said policy. If no, do you affirm that you are eligible to obtain said coverage and will do so prior to commencing haying operations on City property? ___________.
If you wish to include additional information concerning your qualifications or experience, please provide here. Additional sheets may be attached if necessary. ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
By signing below, I affirm that the information submitted is true, accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge, and I agree to abide by the terms and conditions as set forth in the Request for Proposal.
SUBMITTED BY: ___________________________________
(Firm name, if applicable)
NAME (PRINT): ____________________________________
TELEPHONE: (_____)___________ ______________________
AFTER HOURS #, IF DIFFERENT: (_____)_________ ___________